Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Shredding the Gnar

If you read my Friday Five last week, you know that my oldest son is currently driving cross country with a friend. Every day he texts me about his adventures, along with pictures from the day. Most are fabulous, wondrous, and of places I've never been to myself. It is truly the trip of a lifetime, and I'm totally jealous.

His text from St. Louis over the weekend had the expected picture of the famous arch. It also had a video of him skateboarding, with the caption "Shredding the gnar in St. Louis." While someone of my generation might think his auto correct went cuckoo, I knew better.

According to the Urban Dictionary (THE source in these types of matters), shredding the gnar originated in the early days of skateboarding and is now popular when referencing other extreme sports. They give the the following example:

"dude, let's go shred the gnar!
bro, i can't
last gnar session i tweaked my dome.
bummer."

Tweak my dome? No. This is a family friendly blog!  Plus, I still wasn't clear on the shredding the gnar thing. But, then further down the page, another definition:

"To go big, never stop or give up; accept the reality that anything is possible, and everything can be accomplished if you set your mind to it."

A-ha! That I understood, and suddenly it all made sense, because that is MY motto in life. DREAM BIG! So yes ....

SHRED THE GNAR, PEOPLE ... SHRED THE GNAR!  

I wonder if I should change this sign hanging in my office to read "No shred is too gnar ... " (or it is "No gnar is too shred?")




****************************





http://bit.ly/KPTbooks






No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...