Friday, April 29, 2016

The Mother of All Tooth Fairies


A few minutes ago, a lovely woman with glitter in her hair and fluttering wings, dressed in purple and pink ruffles, called my son's name. He obediently stood from his chair and followed her through the door.

Okay, so she maybe she wore blue scrubs, didn't have glitter in her hair or have fluttering wings, but she did call out my eighteen year old son's name. And he did follow her behind a closed door.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm writing this post from the oral surgeon's waiting room. Today is the dreaded day ... Wisdom teeth removal. 

The other moms in here all look so calm, but I'm a twisted mess. For weeks I was fine. I was fine when I made the appointment, I was fine when we came in for the consult, I was even fine when my son had to sign all the paperwork because he's eighteen now.

But then this week started..

First, I had to convince my son this wouldn't happen: "Mom, did you know 1 in 5 people die from this procedure? I mean from the anesthesia."

The next day, I had to really convince him this wouldn't happen: "Mom, what if Dr. M drops the sharp thing down my throat? It could cut all my organs open and  I could bleed to death."

Then, I had to make sure he followed through on this instruction: "No food or drink after midnight - not even a sip of water." Since I go to bed around 10:30, I was worried. Really worried. What if he woke up in the middle of the night and forgot? I barely slept worrying about it, and the sleep it did get was filled with dreams of him eating Thanksgiving sized feasts.. One of these meals even took place in the doctor's waiting room while waiting to be called back.. Yeah.

And it doesn't end there. I'm worried about what happens after. Will the pain be horrible? Will I be able to help enough? Did I buy enough soft foods? Do I have enough ice packs? Will he be comfortable? Will I pass out in the office while they explain all the gory stuff about clots, bleeding, signs of infection, and preventing dry sockets?

Anxiety much?

So that's where I am right now. Looking around the room,  I'm wondering how these other moms are keeping it all together so well. Are you telling me they had full nights of sleep? Were their dreams filled with things other than eating a mega meal in the dentist office? Are they confident they'll get through post op instructions without the room spinning? Do they know what they're doing after they get home?

Maybe I'm the only first timer here.. Not just for wisdom teeth but for any type of child-related surgery at all. Not that I'm complaining ... Eighteen years and three kids is a nice long stretch without any surgeries. But maybe that's why.

So for now, I'm waiting ... And writing. Because that's what us neurotic tooth fairies do.

********


Don't forget - for the latest book news, sign-up for my newsletter!









2 comments:

  1. Hope it all went well and no sharp objects were swallowed. :)

    There are boatloads of horror stories about wisdom teeth removal, aren't there. But other than a friend who got a piece of chicken caught in one of the open wounds (from soup her mother fed her - and she wound up with a major infection), I've never known anyone to have a problem. So as long as he is careful, and rinses well after eating - when it's safe to do so - he should be fine, Mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and your son Karen!!

    ReplyDelete

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...