Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Problem with Milkshakes


Milkshakes … frosty, sweet, smooth, heavenly, soothing, delicious … Hungry? Yeah, tell me about it. This morning, I finished off the first draft of my newest middle grade manuscript…The Secrets of the Writing Desk: Book One: Mischief, Mysteries, and Milkshakes.  

I've said it before, but I love writing middle grade. After finishing up my four book Whispered Wishes series for adults, I was more than ready to jump back into the head of ten year old. Not that I didn't enjoy writing grown up material, because I definitely did, but I missed writing about and for kids, with all their fun and funny antics.

Mischief, Mysteries, and Milkshakes is based on an antique writing desk that I own. A gift from my Aunt several years ago. I always knew it would be the basis of a story — it's so grand and mysterious with no doubt many stories lurking within it. So as I sat before it with my laptop open to a fresh page, I began to type. As has been the case with all of my middle grade novels, the story took on a life of its own, far away from its original outline, and I suddenly found myself googling milkshake flavors. That's where the problem started.

See here's the thing, I kind of like ice cream. A lot. Especially now that summer has started. And as I started writing about these milkshake concoctions I was was creating, I began craving them. I mean seriously, who can resist the classics like chocolate, vanilla, and cookies 'n cream? And don't even get me started on the ones I thought up for the story: Frosted Moose - a delectable combination of marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, chocolate fudge, and vanilla. Or how about Coconut Custard, Butterscotch Bomber, Mint Explosion, or Freaky Fudge? And forget about Harper's Delight (Yeah, that one you're going to have to wait for the book to see the ingredient list, but it's gooood, trust me).

Anyway, ten pounds later, here I am with a full belly and the beginnings of a new series. I'm thinking book two may have to take place in vegetable garden or something.

********


Don't forget - for the latest book news, sign-up for my newsletter!








1 comment:

  1. I love that desk. I can't wait for this book to come out as it sounds like something right up my alley - mystery and milkshakes? - gotta love it. E :)

    Elysabeth Eldering
    Author
    FINALLY HOME, a Kelly Watson, YA paranormal mystery

    ReplyDelete

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...