Thursday, July 18, 2013

Author Spotlight: Gregory S. Slomba

It's Author Spotlight day, and today I'm so excited to introduce you to a fellow middle grade author named Gregory S. Slomba! This may sound odd, but Greg and I became friends after our characters met. (Yeah, that does sound a bit strange doesn't it.) You see, Greg wrote a book called The Deliverers and his characters, Eric and Stig interviewed my Millie on his blog as part of the Character Book Club - and that's how Greg and I became friends. Did you follow all that? No? Well go ahead and click on all the links above to catch up ... I'll wait....

Pretty cool, right? Well now Greg's second book in The Deliverers Series is coming out and I thought it would be great if he came here today to tell us about it.

Welcome Greg! So tell us a little about this new book.

The Deliverers 2: Order of the Crystal Lion will be out in a couple of weeks. It’s a follow-up to The Deliverers: Sharky and the Jewel. Eric, Stig the owl, Kate and Hallo the dwarf are back for another Assignment. This time they visit a futuristic world that’s in the middle of a bloody civil war. The ruling Vynistri have been holding their servants the Chazum as virtual slaves. They have developed a process to add the genes of lions and a few other animals to their DNA. This makes them more suited to jobs like spying and fighting. It’s up to Eric and the others to help bring an end to the war and help both parties resolve their differences.

Wow - that sounds like quite an adventure! Do you have plans for more books in the series?

I am about 85% through the third book in the Deliverers series, The Golden Dragon of Ang. Eric and the gang are sent on another Assignment, but they are also learning about a problem that is threatening all the worlds. By the end of the series, they will have to solve it, or the universe will cease to exist. In all, I think the series will be five books.

You have such great characters. Is there one in particular that is your favorite?

Hmmm. Stig the owl holds a special place in my heart, because the idea for the series really started with him. He had appeared in a number of short stories that I’d written over the years, but he didn’t have a name. The Deliverers was my attempt to find out more about him and why he was helping people.

While Stig was there from the start, I think the character that I have the most fun with is Hallo Tosis the dwarf. He appears in all the books as one of the Deliverers. He’s a joker, and keeps things light when they’re getting too grim. Some of the interactions with the very proper Stig make for a lot of funny moments, particularly in the second and third books.


He definitely sounds like a fun character to write. You have wonderful covers - who makes them?

I’m very blessed, because I have an old friend by the name of Ana Vogel who designs and lays out the covers and the interiors of my books. Her son, Daniel Vogel, does all the artwork and the maps. They do a fantastic job and they’re both very creative. My books would not look half as good as they do without their talent.

Yes - you are indeed lucky to have them! Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.

My most rewarding experiences are my classroom visits. Sharing my experiences with children and hearing what they like to read and write about is great. So many off them are so passionate about writing. I try to encourage them as much as I can. Daniel Vogel’s story is inspiring, because it shows them what someone close to their age can accomplish if they work hard and aren’t afraid to take risks.


I agree! Can you see yourself in any of your characters?

I think I see a lot of myself in Eric. While I’m not a 12 year old boy, I was once. He’s got the same personality as me. He’s kind of quiet and laid back, he doubts himself, but he winds up being a little stronger and braver than he thought. I’d like to think that sums me up, too.


As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

An author. Oh yeah, and quarterback for the Miami Dolphins and a pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers. One out of three isn’t bad, is it?

Haha! Yeah - that's not bad at all. Cats or Dogs?

Well, it used to be dogs, but 13 years ago I got married. Now, in addition to two children, I have five (yes, I know) cats. So I’d have to say cats!

I love cats myself, so I don't see anything wrong with that. PC or Mac?

PC. I’ve used both, but I’m more comfortable with PC’s. For me, word rocks. I just wish Microsoft Movie Maker was better.

Umm - you you know you can get Word for Mac right? Just sayin'. Anything additional you want to share with the readers?

I just want to thank you for having me over to visit with you. I know Eric and Stig really enjoyed their chat with Millie a couple of months ago, and I hope Nate is doing well.

Thank you Greg! Yes, Nate and Millie both say hello also!


About Gregory Slomba

Gregory S. Slomba grew up in Connecticut reading The Phantom Tollbooth, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lord of the Rings and dreaming of being a children's author.

He studied English at the University of Dayton, and then worked as a banker for 20 years, taking care of other people's money. Somewhere in there he also took four years out and worked as an editor for a flooring trade magazine. He got to go to some neat places (Las Vegas, Arizona, Spain) to write about carpet, hardwood and ceramic tiles. Now he designs and writes training courses for bankers.

He likes to read fantasy, historical fiction, history, middle grade and young adult literature, biographies, sports history, and anything else that seems interesting. The Lord of the Rings is his favorite book, followed closely by The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia, Redwall, and Harry Potter.

Greg lives in Connecticut with his wife, Stephanie and his children, Christian and Abigail.

About The Deliverers 2

Who will fight—for the Order, for freedom?

For centuries, the Vynistri have been splicing lion DNA to the genes of their servants, the Chazum, using a device called the Machine. Now an army of Chazum and sympathetic Vynistri are waging a bloody civil war to overthrow the Vynistri’s evil ruler, Chancellor Trelango. In their latest Assignment, the Deliverers—Eric Scott, Stig the owl, Kate Endria and Hallo Tosis the dwarf—are charged with putting an end to the fighting and restoring balance to the world. Aided by a secret society called the Order of the Crystal Lion, Eric and the rest of the Deliverers must overcome tragedy and loss to fight for freedom and equality. Spurring them on is the Order’s belief that the long awaited Crystal Lion has arrived to deliver the world. Is it true, or will Trelango destroy them all?




The Deliverers: Sharkey and the Jewel is available on Amazon in paperback, Kindle and digital audio. The Deliverers 2: Order of the Crystal Lion will be available at the end of this month on Amazon in paperback and Kindle.

Connect with Greg online: www.thedeliverersseries.com. Greg posts three times a week and features interviews with classic children’s book and fairy tale characters, reviews from the Reading Crew, and a rundown of his Writer’s Week.

You can also follow Greg on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thedeliverers and on Twitter at #GregDeliverers.

If anyone would like autographed copies of books 1 & 2, you can email Greg at gregslomba@hotmail.com.

*********



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great interview Karen. It was fun chatting with you. I'm looking forward to reading Chasing Invisible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous interview! It was fun to learn more about Greg (I had no idea you had 5 cats). :) I also love Stig and really enjoy is character. I have his voice perfect in my head! I know my students have loved having Greg visit and this year we were lucky to have Daniel join him. The kids were impressed with the book and the artwork.

    Looking forward to the rest of the series and wishing Greg the best of luck!

    So glad your characters introduced you two to each other. ;)

    ReplyDelete

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...