Thursday, May 23, 2013

Author Spotlight: Emily Fogle

Hey Everyone! Today, in the Author Spotlight, I have someone I'm super excited to introduce you to! Her name is Emily Fogle and she writes middle grade fantasy that your kids will LOVE. Her debut novel, Dragon Wars is getting rave reviews, and she was gracious enough to come here today to tell us more:

Hi Emily! Tell us more about Dragon Wars.

It’s essentially about a young boy, Danny Warren, who loses his father and is forced to move away from the only life he’s ever known. However, the fresh start his mother tries so desperately to give him turns out smelling like dirty socks. He is the target of a horrible bully, Kevin Brady, and is forced to live in fear every time he goes to school. After a particularly hard day, Danny goes home and discovers a portal to the dragon world: Dorcian. When Danny arrives, he finds that the entire world is in ruin. Almost all of dragons have been turned into black beasts by an evil sorceress named Mordah. Only a few remain in hiding. Danny quickly becomes friends with a dragon named Ebby, the Idorah ruler. Together, he and the remaining dragons fight to defeat Mordah and restore Dorcian to its former beauty.
It is a great adventure story for kids of all ages, but it also touches on some serious issues as well, like bullying and abusive homes. It’s a story of friendship, learning how to deal with heartache, and about finding the courage to stand up for what’s right. It teaches children that they can be strong and do what is right, no matter how small they think they are or how scared they might be.

It sounds wonderful! What inspired you to write this book?

My son’s imagination also inspires me. The imagination of a child is so vast and unequaled to anything in this world. We both love dragons and spend hours imaging far off places filled with magical adventures, so I wrote this story for him. I was also inspired by my uncle, Robert Immings. He is a wonderful artist. He actually provided all of the fantastic art work for the novel. Years ago, he sent me a drawing of a woman. She was holding an amulet and standing by a cave with a dragon looking out at her. That one drawing started the wheels spinning. I took the woman in the drawing as the inspiration for the evil sorceress in Dragon Wars, and the rest seemed to fall into place.

It's amazing how inspiring kids can be isn't it? And I love that you work with your Uncle! Do you have any other projects coming up?

I actually have a few things in the works. My uncle and I are working on a children’s picture book. I am also currently editing and doing some rewrites on an epic fantasy trilogy that I wrote several years ago. It was actually the first novel I ever wrote, I just never had the courage to do anything with it. Hopefully I can get it done so that I can submit by the fall. I also have two YA novels I am trying to finish, one of which is the second book in a series I am working on. I have been trying to finish these for the last four years now! My goal is to finish them before the end of the year.

Wow, you are busy!! Is there a writer that you would love to co-write a book with?

I love fantasy. It would be beyond my wildest dreams to write with George R. R. Martin or Ken Follet. Both authors have such an insane grasp on the amount of details that they put in their writing, and they have a way of spinning their words into extremely larger than life scenarios. I would love to be able to accomplish a small fraction of the story telling talent they have.

I heard you're pretty talented yourself! I love you cover - do you think people judge a book by its cover?

Of course they do! At least I know I do. The cover is a reader’s first impression of a book. Most of the time a book has the time span of a mere glimpse to catch someone’s attention. So, it really needs to speak to the reader and capture their interests. My uncle did elements of my cover (the title font and the two dragon images), and then the cover artist at Anchor Group put it all together.

What is your greatest challenge as an author?

My greatest challenge has to be finishing my work. Life is super busy, first and foremost, and then I add in my extremely scattered brain to the mix and it’s a recipe for a total loss in productivity. When I get a chance to write, I can chug away for a while, but if I hit a bump I tend to get distracted and jump to another work in progress. It’s not the best system for completing novels, but it makes things interesting.

I do the opposite. I can't start a project until the one I'm working on is complete, so if I'm stuck, it holds everything up.  I actually think your way is much better. Moving on to publishing... tell us your most rewarding experience so far.

As soon as my son found out that I had gotten my book published, he was super excited. He told me he is determined to write his own book now, and that is an amazing feeling. To know that I inspired my son is wonderful. He even plays Dragon Wars with his friends at recess. Also, I had a mom write to me and tell me that her son was very touched by the story. He related to Danny, my main character, and told his mom “he was a lot like Danny’. He also told her he wished he could find a place like Dorcian. As a writer, that touched my heart immensely. To know that a child could identify with my main character and be so affected by his story, fulfils all of my hopes and accomplishes everything I set out to do when I wrote Dragon Wars.

That truly is the best part of being a writer for me too. 
Now the fun questions... Who is your favorite super-hero and why?

So many to choose from, so little typing space. But off the top of my head, I’m going to have to go with Rogue. She’s pretty flippin’ awesome. If I could take other people’s strength and use it against them, I totally would. Plus, I can’t tell you how many times people see my hair and say “Hey, you look like the girl from X-Men!” It’s the white streak!


PS - Did you know that my two cats are named Wolverine & Storm? What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I think most people are taken back a second when they know what kind of music I listen to (I have a quiet demeanor and the voice of a five year old). But I love me some hard rock! Five Finger Death Punch is one of my faves. Most people can’t picture me listening to all those angry lyrics and unsavory words.

Five Finger Who? Now I feel old... next question... Cats or Dogs?

Dogs, hands down! Cats are evil (well, most of them, anyway – my cat acted like a dog, so he gets a pass). I have a friend that might kill me for this! But her cat’s name is Sméagol, so I guess I will give him a pass too because he has a pretty cool name!

Um - Did I mention that my cats are named Wolverine and Storm?? They're cool & not evil (unless you cross them) - you would like them. Trust me!  Coffee or Tea?

I love both (chamomile and chai tea especially). But coffee is my one true love! And I’m not afraid to shout it to the world that, even though we’ve taken a ‘break’, I can’t wait until we are reunited! I’m used to drinking a pot a day, and when I’m done breastfeeding I may have to double that to make up for lost time.

Phew! You scared me there with the Dog vs Cat question, but you've redeemed yourself with the coffee answer - either way I love you Emily! Is there anything additional you want to share with the readers?

I just really hope that I’ve intrigued everyone enough to check out Dragon Wars, and that they will enjoy it. I am always up for feedback, as well. You can contact me through my website, or through my Facebook page.

Where can people find your books online?

I have signed copies available through my Author page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/AuthorEmilyFogle

It is also available though Amazon and Barnes & Noble in both print and ebook.
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Wars-Emily-Fogle/dp/0988633493/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367631879&sr=8-3&keywords=dragon+wars

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dragon-wars-emily-fogle/1114973569?ean=9780988633490

Soon, I believe it will be available on my publisher’s website:
www.anchorgrouppublishing.com

And I can be reached through my Facebook page, or my website: www.dragonwarsthenovel.com



About Emily Fogle

Emily Fogle was born and raised in Southern California. Her dream and ultimate goal was to get her Masters degree in English and become a teacher with enough time to write, as well. However, she soon found out that the best dreams often come true when they aren’t planned. Instead of fulfilling her teaching goal, real life took over and she married the man of her dreams. She now has an amazing 7 year old son and a beautiful baby boy.

She dedicates the majority of her time taking care of her family, volunteering at her son’s school, and being a Cub Scout Den leader. And though she loves every minute of it, the thought of being a writer still tugs at her heart. So, after the busy days are done and everyone is finally sleeping quietly, she squeezes in time for all the other loves in her life: the characters running wild inside her head.

Now, incredibly, her writing dream is also coming true. Her first novel, Dragon Wars, is being published by Anchor Group. Emily feels sincerely blessed to have been given so much in life and can’t wait to start the next chapter.



About Dragon Wars

Life is filled with changes, but sometimes even the most tragic events bring joy in the end, which is something Danny Warren learns when he joins the Dragon Wars.
Danny sadly loses his father in a hit-and-run auto accident and is forced to move to a different town. But his fresh start is a horrible one and Danny desperately wants to find a world he can belong to. One afternoon, after a particularly hard day at school, Danny finds a mysterious box hidden inside his window seat. He soon discovers that the box is his portal to Dorcian, the dragon world. Sadly, the once amazing world is in utter turmoil, and its inhabitants are suffering. Danny finds the one thing that can bring meaning and happiness back to his heart: saving those that desperately need his help. Together, one boy and six lone dragons, will defeat evil and wage the Dragon Wars.
And, in the midst of it all, Danny will discover that even the smallest person can make a huge difference when it matters the most.


THANKS EMILY!



**********


SIGN UP FOR MY MONTHLY NEWSLETTER FOR EXCLUSIVE EXCERPTS & GIVEAWAYS! 






1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...