Thursday, April 11, 2013

Author Spotlight: Rachel Thompson

Hey all - thanks for hanging out today! Did you all enjoy my story about Frank the other day? (You can catch up here) Well - I was going to make him my assistant - I SO desperately need one, but my six year old decided he wanted to keep him for himself. Kids!

Anyway - it doesn't matter, because even without an assistant, I've got a GREAT author to tell you about today!! She is not only a best-selling author, but she is also a social media guru. I have learned TONS from this woman, and I'm so excited to have her here today in the spotlight.

Hi Rachel! You're newest release, Broken Pieces, is amazing! Tell everyone about it:
This is my most intensive work to date.
Broken Pieces is a work of nonfiction essays, poetry, and prose where I open my soul and invite you in for a visit. It's vulnerable, it's raw honesty, it's no-holds barred. This is the first book I've published where I questioned if readers and reviewers would respond favorably due to the serious nature of the work.
And yet, they have.
Most readers know me as the funny girl, but this work (hinted at in A Walk In The Snark), shows that I can go into those long buried rooms, the ones we lock up deep inside, and share.
These stories were there. I simply had to wait until my brain caught up.


Yes - I think you caught so many of us off-guard who are used to your humorous side. What inspired you to write this book?
After writing two humor books, I just didn’t have it in me to dive into more humor. All these stories were brimming inside and I decided to just let them out. It was time. I’m not a religious person, but I do strongly believe the universe sends us message we either choose to embrace or ignore.

I completely agree. What's next for you?
I’m noodling ideas for Broken Pieces 2 (not the actual title so you may breathe now), along with the third humor book in the Chronicles of Snark ☺, as well as an erotic romance, as well as a social media/author marketing book based on my business articles.

Ha! You sound like me! Hopefully, you're much better at multi-tasking than I am! When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I’ve been writing since I was ten years old. But as a professional writer? When I published my first book. The process of writing a book and working with an editor is an amazing, but there’s nothing like hitting PUBLISH the first time.

Yes! I always expect flashing disco lights and confetti to come down from the ceiling or something when I click on that publish button - Is that just me? Okay, let's move on. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? 
I like the room dark and music on.

On to one of my favorite subjects - covers! Do people judge a book by its cover? Who makes yours?
You bet. I love the covers of all my books, but the cover of Broken Pieces seems to really resonate with people as well as capture the vulnerability of the work. Natasha Brown did that particular cover and I can’t recommend her highly enough.

What is the best advice any one has ever given you?
It wasn’t until I read this writing quote from author Lorrie Moore: ‘Write something you’d never show your mother or father,’ that I finally gave myself permission to write the hard stuff. I’m a grown up. I don’t have to ask my parent’s permission to write naughty words, about sex, or gritty, realism.

Great advice and something I'm actually struggling with myself. So, what is something people would be surprised to know about you?
I took eight years of classical piano. Now I mostly play Beatles songs and plunk out Tori Amos (whose songs are really hard, by the way). I read music but can pick out any melody by ear and play it. It’s a gift lol.

We've got a piano that nobody plays, but it looks nice lol! I've always wanted to play (and love Tori also). My grandmother could play by ear. It is definitely a gift. So now the true test: PC or Mac? MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone. Apple fan here.

Phew - you passed! And even more important: Coffee or Tea? Coffee, though I will suffer through iced tea if threatened.

Awesome - we can still be friends. What is one thing that you could not live without?
I can’t pick! My children. And vodka. Chocolate. Coffee. Okay, my husband. (He won’t see this, right?)

No nutella on the list? I thought for sure that would be there! How about this one: If you could have a superpower what would it be?
Cleaning and cooking without burning.

Ugh - the C words. I avoid both at all costs! Anything additional you want to share with the readers? If you’re looking for some light reading, Broken Pieces isn’t it. If you want a peek into one woman’s journey from childhood sexual abuse to recovery, pick up a copy.

 Indeed. Speaking of Broken Pieces, I had the opportunity to read it. Here is my review:

5 Stars Powerful & Emotional

Author, Rachel Thompson lets her soul loose in this beautifully written collection of essays that show true raw emotion. There are stories of love, sorrow, and healing in this courageous testimony. Kudos to the author for so eloquently expressing such powerful emotions in what was obviously a very difficult time of her life. Guaranteed to touch your heart.


About Rachel Thompson:


Rachel Thompson aka RachelintheOC is a published author and social media consultant. Her three books, A Walk In The Snark, The Mancode: Exposed and Broken Pieces are all #1 Kindle bestsellers! When not writing, she helps authors and other professionals with branding and social media for her company, BadRedheadMedia. She hates walks in the rain, running out of coffee, and coconut. Buy Now : A Walk in the Snark * Mancode: Exposed * Broken Pieces

Connect with Rachel online:

Thanks for stopping by Rachel!


**********


SIGN UP FOR MY MONTHLY NEWSLETTER FOR EXCLUSIVE EXCERPTS & GIVEAWAYS! 






3 comments:

  1. Great interview! I absolutely love the cover of Broken Pieces, and I will definitely be checking it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Natasha Brown did an amazing job with the cover. Totally different than what I had in mind yet absolutely perfect. I love trusting people who are so incredibly talented.

    I do hope you enjoy the book. Please let me know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I knew there was something I liked about you. I'm an iMac, iPad, iPhone girl, too! Fantastic interview. I especially liked the best advice someone gave you. Thanks for sharing.
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...