Thursday, January 3, 2013

Author Spotlight: Kristy K James

Happy New Year everyone!! This week's Author Spotlight is my good friend Kristy K James. Kristy's books are wonderful character driven novels with interesting characters and story lines. I really enjoy reading her work, and I'm so glad to have her on my blog today! Welcome Kristy!


Kristy, you are a writing machine! Tell us about your newest release.
The most current is a novella that was released in December. It’s a Christmas romance, actually based on a crush I had when I was 18 or 19. Likely because he lived in this huge, cool old stone house (with turrets!) that I just loved. I actually did write (by hand) a romance with him as the hero and…um…someone very like me as the heroine. So this one is a little more grown up, a story about good friends who hope there can be something more.

What exciting story are you working on next?
You mean other than the third installment in the Coach’s Boys series (which was supposed to be out in December…oops!)? Next on the list is a young adult/fantasy series that I hope to get started on in February. It’s the whole good vs evil story, dealing with a group of teens, a group of nearly ninety year olds, and a a villain who has been around for more generations than anyone can count. The most exciting thing, though, is that my daughter will be working with me on it. I can hardly wait! I might turn her into a writer yet.

That sounds awesome and I love that your daughter is getting involved! I followed you during NaNoWriMo and your schedule was nuts! When and how do you find time to write in your daily life?
It’s actually not that difficult to do now. My kids are older and I don’t really have anything pressing to do in the at night…other than sleep, and who needs much of that, right? :)

You make it sound so easy! What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don’t know if this qualifies as a quirk, but some people think it’s kind of weird. However, I’m not the only writer who does this. What is it? If I’m having trouble getting into a character’s head, I will interview him or her. I had one heroine I couldn’t stand, which isn’t a good thing. If I didn’t like her, no one else would. So I ‘interviewed’ her and her sister. It was a little strange at first, but it didn’t take long before we were having a three-way conversation via my computer. Eventually I realized where she was coming from, what made her what she is today, and I actually like her a whole lot now, and she will have the leading role in the last book in the Coach’s Boys series.

The one thing that worries me about this practice is that I actually do wind up conversing with these characters like they’re real people. I’m fairly sure there’s a padded room with my name on it somewhere…

Haha - I talk to my characters all the time. Is that wrong? We can live in that padded room together! Who is one of your favorite characters that you have written? Please tell us about him/her and what book they are in.
I don’t know why, but my very favorite is Elliot Owens from Enza. Somehow he just developed into the best husband and father he could possibly be. And I loved his sense of humor. He was, by far, one of the easiest characters I’ve ever written. He might not be in the sequel, because he changes a bit for a while, but I don’t think the real Elliot will be lost forever. I hope to finish that some time in 2013.

I absolutely loved Enza (and Elliot). What is one thing that you could not live without?
Since everyone is going to say the people they love, food, water, air, etc…, I’m just going to take it that those are givens…and go with electricity. I’m not a ‘roughing it’ kind of girl. I need my computer, heat, air conditioning, refrigerator, washer, dryer, and all of the other stuff that makes living in the modern world so much nicer than Laura Ingalls had it. And all of those things are pretty useless without electricity.

Good point. I'll take electricity too. If you could have a superpower what would it be?
I’d take super speed in a heartbeat. It would literally add much needed hours to my day. Just think of all the time you could save on house and yard work, on shopping, and even driving. Yup, I could run faster than my van could ever hope to move…and I wouldn’t have to worry about tickets either!

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
About me? I love brownies, bacon, and homemade bread an butter. Which I still have once in a while, even though I’m not supposed to eat gluten. But gluten-free bread products pretty much suck so…it’s worth it every now and again.

I love all those also. Where can people find you and your books online?
The easiest places to find me are on my blog (www.kristykjames.wordpress.com/), and my website (www.kristykjames.com). I have links to all of my books on those sites.

Thanks so much for having me, Karen! I really enjoyed it. Tell Nate and the girl whose name isn’t Millicent Marie that I said hi.

I sure will! Thanks Kristy!

About Kristy K James:



Kristy K. James' first goal in life was to work in law enforcement, until the night she called the police to check out a scary noise in her yard. Realizing that she might someday have to investigate scary noises in yards just as dark as hers if she continued on that path, she turned to her other favorite love...writing. Since then her days have been filled with being a mom and reluctant zookeeper (7 pets), creating stories, and looking for trouble in her kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Karen! I appreciate you sharing this with your readers. :)

    ReplyDelete

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...