Thursday, January 24, 2013

Author Spotlight: Elizabeth Kirke

Hi all - welcome to another Author Spotlight! Today we have our first ever author who has now been in the spotlight twice - Elizabeth Kirke! That's because Elizabeth has a new book out titled Snow Bound. Snow Bound is the second book in her More than Magic series and it looks great.

Elizabeth was kind enough to be interviewed today:

Welcome Elizabeth - Please tell us about your current release.
My newest book is called Snow Bound and it's the second book in my New Adult urban fantasy series. It picks up about five months after the previous book left off. There are some old, familiar faces for readers who have read the first book and some new characters too. I tried my best to make sure that people who haven't read my first book can still enjoy this one, but I would recommend reading them in order. It was just published on January 19, 2013!

Congrats! What inspired you to write this book?
It seemed like a logical sequel to my first. Semester Aboard took place during a summer trip, which was inspired by a cruise that I took a few years ago. The main character, Jen, is a college student, so it seemed right that I would go from her summer break in book one, to her winter break in book two.

As for the inspiration, I love skiing, and winter in general. A ski resort seemed like a perfect place for a book set in the winter. As the characters are all different kinds of magical beings, somewhere remote like a resort seemed even better!

Sounds like the perfect setting for a winter read. So, what story are you working on next?
I'm currently working on a number of stories, 13 to be exact! Ha! It's a collection of short stories, revolving around the life of Dani, one of the main characters in Semester Aboard. I suppose it's a prequel in a way.
But, as a friendly warning, my current two books are, as I said, New Adult. This collection will be fully adult. Language, violence, mature themes, the works. So, it won't be appropriate for some fans of my current books. And fans who are looking for a "third" more light-hearted and easy-to-read book, may not enjoy it.

Wow, you are busy! When and how do you find time to write in your daily life?
I don't! It's very tough! I manage a quick fifteen to twenty minutes in the mornings before work. I generally get an hour for lunch, and sometimes an extra hour or two on slow days, at my day job. Then I can find an hour most evenings, depending on if it's hockey or football season! My husband periodically goes out for guy's night, which is when I get several good hours to write!

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I talk. Worse yes, I act. I pace around my house talking (in different character voices) to myself and "choreographing" scenes. Just last week my husband caught me having what looked like a heated argument…with myself. I sometimes feel like I should carry around a tape recorder.

You should! I love your writing process. Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published.
All of the random people who contact me! I got an email from a total stranger saying that I had inspired her to write a book of her own. And, earlier today in fact, I got a message from someone saying that my book s looked awesome and she can't wait to read them. I also periodically get comments on my Facebook page, or even private messages telling me they love my book or asking questions that the book didn't answer. It's great! I love hearing from fans, it's really great to know that someone enjoyed my work enough to take a moment to track me down and tell me.


I agree - talking one on one with readers is the best! As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
As a VERY young child I wanted to be an artist. Then for a while I went back and forth between veterinarian and teacher. That said, I was always writing. I think somewhere in the back of my mind I wanted, ultimately, to become an author.

Do you have any hobbies?
I'm not too busy to have hobbies?! I'm a big crafter. I knit, crochet, cross-stitch, you name it. I'm trying to figure out a way to make a More than Magic related project. I also love baking, birdwatching, and kayaking. And of course reading!
And really, writing is a hobby for me. It's part of what I love about being an author. I don't need to take a "break" when I'm writing, because I love doing it!

If you could have a superpower what would it be?
I would have the power to learn anything instantly. Like what they do in the Matrix, but superpower style. I'm going to take a trip to China, BAM I speak Chinese now. Oh, you're knitting, that looks cool. BAM I can knit now too. Oh, you can ice skate? Me too! What to have for dinner…I think I'll make sushi, good thing I know how to roll it!
I think that would be awesome.

Yes! I agree! Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
Well, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this =) If you read my book as well, I do hope you enjoy it! I'd also like to say that I honestly do love hearing from readers. If you've got any burning questions about the characters, or even just are bored and want to chat, I'm always happy to! Just don't be creepy and ask me to marry you or something!

Where can people find you and your books online?
I can be found on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MorethanMagic
Or on my blog, http://elizabeth-kirke.blogspot.com
You can find the first four chapters of Semester Aboard and the first chapter of Snow Bound there, as well as fun things like character interviews and updates on upcoming projects.
I'm also on Goodreads, http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/5116849.Elizabeth_Kirke

Both books can be found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_at_ep_srch?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Elizabeth%20Kirke&search-alias=books&sort=relevancerank

And Semester Aboard is also available from Smashwords, https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/79269 Snow Bound will be available there soon.




About Elizabeth Kirke


Elizabeth Kirke wanted to be an author before she even knew what an author was. She used to say that she wanted to be an artist, but that was only because she was too young to write and had to tell stories with pictures instead. She hasn't stopped writing since she learned how. It wasn't long before she dreamed of becoming an author and couldn't be happier now that that dream is a reality.

If she isn't writing...well, let's be honest; if she isn't writing she's probably on Facebook thinking that she should start writing. But, if she isn't writing or on Facebook, she's probably doing something involving books, baking, gardening, or yarn. In an ideal world, she'd be reading and knitting while something from the garden is in the oven. Then again, in an ideal world, she'd have a flock of ducks and a couple of goats.

Like most slightly-nosy, avid readers, Elizabeth can't resist trying to catch a peek at books she sees people reading when out in public to see if she can figure out what it is. While doing just that one day, she realized that it would probably be the coolest-thing-ever if she caught a complete stranger reading one of her books. That's her new dream.


About More than Magic:

Semester Aboard (More than Magic #1)

Jen is looking forward to spending an entire summer studying abroad on a cruise ship and she knows the experience will change her life. Then she sees something she wasn't supposed to see, something she can't explain. Jen finds herself thrust into a world she never knew existed and her life will change more than she imagined. That is, if she can survive the dangers lurking on the ship.

Snow Bound (More than Magic #2)

After learning how to use magic and fighting vampires, anyone would be bored going back to normal college life. Worst of all, Jen misses the friends she made over the summer. Naturally, Jen is all too happy to accept an invitation to go skiing with the gang during winter break.

She gears up for two weeks of snow, magic, and fun. Just when everything seems to be going great, an uninvited guest turns up. Soon the skiers aren’t the only things going downhill. Jen thought that vampires were just about the most dangerous thing the magical world could throw at her. Unfortunately, she’s about to learn that people with no magic at all can be just as deadly...


Thanks Elizabeth!


***********


Details Here




No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...