Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I Have A Confession

photo credit: Olivander via photopin cc

No, I didn’t murder anyone or anything like that. But I have been pretending to be someone I’m not for the past ten months. Some of you already know this, but many of you do not. So I’m here today to set the record straight.

Ten months ago, I announced a new book, an adult contemporary fiction release, called Julia’s Song, by an unknown author named Elyse Pierce - unknown because she didn’t actually exist. She was a pen name that I created. For those of you who still haven’t gotten your first cup of coffee down, what I’m trying to say is that Elyse Pierce is me – Karen Pokras Toz – and that Julia’s Song is a book that I wrote. Those of you who have known me for a while and know me well, also know that Elyse is my middle name and Pierce is the last name I used as a college DJ back in 19longtimeago. So there you have it – the secret is out.

Are you wondering why I’m telling you this? Well, it’s because I have BIG news!! Julia’s Song, which I self-published, has been picked up by a publisher! But, before I get into all that – a little history lesson....

Julia’s Song was the first full-length novel I had written – in fact it was the first real anything I had written (oh yeah – let’s hear the cringes – I know). So it needed work and lots of it. I re-worked it more times than I can count and finally decided to self-publish it. Even after publication, I continued to re-work the story (and countless editing mishaps) based on reviews left on Amazon and Goodreads. (Ahh...the magic of being able to upload multiple files when you’re the publisher!)

I had originally decided to use the pen name, Elyse Pierce, because I didn’t really know how it would fit into my children’s book "brand". Also – admittedly, I knew the manuscript needed work, and I wasn’t quite ready to claim it as my own. I’ve since re-worked (again) and unpublished all remaining copies.

So now, thanks to the fabulous team at Anchor Group Publishing, Julia’s Song, now titled invisible, will get a brand new cover, a thorough editing (phew), and the attention it deserves, including having by Karen Pokras Toz, proudly displayed.

Coming summer 2013! Stay tuned . . .



2 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you!! What an awesome success story! I'll put Invisible in my TBR list.

    Alli
    mrscaptkirk51.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congats, Karen. Well deserved!

    ReplyDelete

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...