Monday, September 24, 2012

My Characters Are Getting Punchy!

As you may (or not) know, my newest children's chapter book, Millicent Marie Is Not My Name,  is close to being released. While I am super excited to introduce the world to Millie, it occurred to me that it had been a while since I sat down and talked with my buddy Nate Rocks.

So I decided it was time to give him a little attention. After all, I've got another book of his to finish writing. Apparently he's been unhappy with some of the choices I've made in the last two books, and he had some suggestions for me...

“Look, I get what you’re trying to do. You want to get more kids to read, you want to get them to laugh, you want them to know that they can dream and accomplish their goals. I get all that – but is it too much to ask to get a good meal once in a while?”

“Now look Nathan, I’m sorry that I had to make it so your mom can’t cook. I guess it just kind of felt natural to me since I’m not exactly Julia Childs in the kitchen myself. Just ask my own kids.”

“Julia who? Nevermind. You’re the author aren’t you? Can’t you write whatever you want? How about we strike a deal. You make it so that Mom and that annoying sister, Abby, you gave me get lost in the jungle somewhere, and in their place, you give me a cool older brother and a mom who knows how to cook a burger. I’m sure no one will even notice.”

“I can’t do that, Nathan, I’ve already developed their characters. Let me explain how this writing thing works. I come up with characters, I figure out how I want their personalities to go, and then I write them. Once they’re in my stories, you’re stuck with them. At least I sent you away to camp for six weeks. I thought you said the food was good there. Plus, you barely saw your sister. I even left Lisa, that know-it-all classmate home.”

“Yeah, but not before she gave me a black eye. Some going away party you threw me. Thanks a bunch.”

“Sorry about that – but the readers really loved that scene. See – I’m in it for the readers, so you’re just going to have to deal with whatever comes your way. So far you’ve been handling it quite well. I appreciate that.”

“Uh – thanks, I think. I hear I’m going on a class trip next, can we work out a deal or something before you start writing about it?”

“I’ll get back to you on that one, Nathan.”



I wonder if Millie has any complaints? Some days it's hard to keep all these characters happy!




GUESS WHAT? Nate Rocks the Boat is FREE today & tomorrow (9/24 and 9/25) for your Kindle! Get yours HERE! Spread the word - reading rocks!


**************


No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...