Thursday, August 16, 2012

Celebrate Community Blog Hop: Favorite Recipe #CCEID




I’d like to thank Author Pavarti Tyler and Fighting Monkey Press for inviting me to participate in the Celebrate Community Blog Hop! For the next four days, I will be writing about different topics to celebrate culture and community. There are several amazing blogs participating, so please take some time to visit http://www.fightingmonkeypress.com/celebrating-community/ for a complete listing. In addition, once there, you can enter to win one of a slew of amazing prizes including gift cards, books, t-shirts and more!

So for today, the topic is: Share your favorite recipe – religions and cultures and PARTIES revolve around food in some way.

Okay – so confession time. I’m really not big into cooking. I know how to cook, but to me it always just seems like a chore. I know – my poor family. Don’t worry, they don’t starve, I do cook for them, it’s just never anything fancy. I do have a couple of recipes however that I enjoy making when I have big groups of people over for holidays and parties. I actually love my crockpot, and anytime I get to use it, I get very excited! So... here is my not so world famous, but still yummy, recipe for chili:

One other thing before I give you this recipe. You may be wondering how this fits into a post about religion and culture. I’m kind of wondering the same thing – except that I do tend to make this when my family gets together for Hanukkah. I know that sounds strange as traditional Hanukkah food involves fried foods such as latkes (fried potato pancakes). Never fear - I do always serve latkes  but they tend to be either an appetizer or separate from the meal. The thing is, we rarely celebrate Hanukkah on Hanukkah. Instead, we find a weekend when everyone is free to get together. It turns into a great party with family, gifts, driedel playing, latkes, ... and chili.   I’ve also been known to make lasagna and quiche (not at the same time) for my Hanukkah meal. Don’t ask me what the connection is, I have no answer. All I know is that my family enjoys these dishes, and they are easy to make for large groups.

Now on to my recipe:

Into the crock-pot it all goes, in no particular order:

2 lb of ground turkey
1 can of black beans (drained)
1 can of pinto beans (drained)
1 cup of sliced carrots
1 can of corn kernels
1 cup of chopped green beans
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 can (14.5 ounce) chopped tomatoes (with liquid)
1 chopped onion
1 can (8 ounce) of tomato sauce
1-2 tablespoons of the following to taste:
Cumin
Chilli Powder
Add garlic powder, cayenne pepper and ground pepper to taste.
About half way through cooking, I’ll add water or chicken broth if it seems too thick.

Serve with chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Also yummy with cornbread -

I apologize for the lack of photo. But trust me - it looks, smells, and tastes fab! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...