Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Discover Fantasy Tour: What? I'm A Fantasy Writer?

For those following the Discovery Fantasy Tour, I was hoping to have author Jeremy Rodden on my blog today to talk about his books, and his take on fantasy. Unfortunately, he was unable to stop by, but I'd still like to encourage you to check out his great books - Toonopolis Gemini & Toonopolis Anchihiiroo and read about Jeremy at the Discover Fantasy website. Maybe we can even convince him to stop by another time.








So unfortunately, you're stuck with me - and what I am about to say may be very disturbing. Please do not throw things at your computer screen while reading this – I cannot be held responsible for any resulting damage. Deep breath...

I’ve never been much of a fantasy fan. While I have the highest respect for Tolkien, I was never really able to get into his books. So I tried the movies. To be honest, I found them boring ~~ (ducking) ~~  It’s true. Just ask my husband – whenever I have insomnia, he puts in the Lord of the Rings DVD, and it puts me to sleep instantly ~~ (ducking again) ~~. My husband on the other hand loves fantasy. He’s also a gamer – something else I just don’t understand... and yet I find the entire culture fascinating.

So what am I doing hosting the Discover Fantasy tour? Good question...

About a month or so ago, I was reading a review someone posted about Nate Rocks the World, when I noticed that they tagged the post as “fantasy.” What? That’s impossible. I am not a fantasy writer. I don't even like fantasy! Nowhere in my books do I talk about middle earth, elves, dwarves, or even hobbits.

It got me thinking – What does “fantasy” really mean?

So I looked it up – yeah, I’m a geek that way: According to the Oxford Dictionary:

... the faculty or activity of imagining impossible or improbable things:
...a fanciful mental image, typically one on which a person often dwells and which reflects their conscious or unconscious wishes:
...an idea with no basis in reality:
...a genre of imaginative fiction involving magic and adventure, especially in a setting other than the real world.

Does Nate Rocks use his imagination to come up with impossible or improbable things? Check
Does Nate Rocks dwell on conscious or unconscious wishes? Check
Does Nate Rocks often come up with ideas that have no basis in reality? Check
Do many of Nate’s adventures involve adventures and magic in settings other than the real world? Check

Huh...  As it turns out, it would appear that I (Karen Pokras Toz) am a writer of fantasy! Who knew? I guess I am a fan of fantasy after all! As I was saying above - I think fantasy is awesome ;)



A huge thank you to the Discover Fantasy Tour for helping me to discover all the wonderful worlds and stories fantasy authors have to offer!


Enter the Discover Fantasy Giveaway to win a $100 Amazon GC! Enter here.


www.discoverfantasy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...