Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Is It Possible to Unplug?

If you read this blog semi-regularly, then you probably know my husband and I recently took our five year old to Disney World. It was a special vacation just for him – his first airplane trip with no other siblings around (don’t feel bad for them – they’ve been before and are getting their own special trip.)

photo credit: gato-gato-gato via photo pin cc
Yup – 100% alone time with Daddy and Mommy (and Mommy’s laptop, Mommy’s iPhone, Daddy’s Droid phone, and Daddy’s work Blackberry - - but otherwise it was 100% Daddy and Mommy time for him.)

The truth is, I don’t think it’s possible for either my husband or myself to completely unplug for an entire week or even a weekend. I was finishing up a blog tour and needed to be able to run promotions and check emails, and my husband had his own stuff at work he needed to keep up with – plus... you know – baseball scores.


photo credit: Ninja M. via photo pin cc


Keep up with what's going on in cyberspace is sort of like laundry. Yes that’s right – laundry. It’s just going to keep piling up, so you might as well try to keep up with it. Don’t you hate all that laundry you have to do when you get back from vacation? Wouldn't it be easier to do it a little bit each day? No, this is not a metaphor, we had a washer/dryer in the condo we stayed in and did in fact do laundry – well my husband did – while I caught up with emails. Yes, I’m married to an awesome man.


In the end, we all had a great vacation. The laptop only came out early in the morning and late at night, and for the most part, the phones were kept to a minimum. It wasn’t a complete unplugging, but it worked for us. ... Check out this great picture I took with my iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...