Monday, February 13, 2012

Do You Have A Reluctant Reader?

The following is a re-print of a guest post I wrote for Books 4 Tomorrow last month. If you haven't been over to their blog yet, check it out for some great book reviews and more!

************


It finally happened – my 14 year old finally said the words I had been patiently waiting for – words that inspire me to write books for middle grade children. Yesterday afternoon, he sat down on the couch with me as I was reading a book on my Kindle and asked:

“Can you show me how that works?”


What? You mean my teen was interested in something book related? Surely, I must be dreaming.

I had to move fast, before something else caught his attention, so I saved my spot and showed him how to maneuver around. He was fascinated. He then did something else I never expected. He pulled out his phone and downloaded the Kindle app along with some free books.

Wait it gets better – he actually said, “I think I want to read more.”

Seriously – who stole my fourteen year old? This is the kid who every year scans the school’s summer reading list, finds a book he has already read and proclaims, “I’m done.”

Now, he was actually asking if he could have an Amazon gift card to purchase books.

In reality – his actions validate something I have been thinking about for a few months now: Kids love to read on electronic devices! And while Kindles and Nooks are awesome, all you really need is a computer or phone to begin. The apps are free, and as my son quickly found out, so are several of the books.

So don’t give up parents – there is hope for your reluctant readers! Encourage your children to read every day and prove to the children in your life that reading can be fun!

************



And speaking of Kindles....

Win a Kindle Fire and Amazon Gift Card





How? Easy peasy. Head on over to winwithebooks.com or the Facebook fanpage and follow the directions on the Rafflecopter. Check back daily for 50 extra chances to win.*no purchase necessary*

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...