Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sample Sunday: Nate Rocks the World

Thank you to Donna Brown of the Indie Exchange for opening up her blog today for Sample Sunday!


The Indie Exchange

In this scene from Nate Rocks the World, you get a little taste of how Nathan unexpectedly enters his imaginary character of Nate Rocks. Here, Nathan is supposed to be taking a spelling test when his mind wanders off a tinsy bit into the start of one of his adventures as Nate Rocks:


“Polite...violin....light,” Mrs. Dempsey says, leaving enough time in between each word to let us write.

So far so good, I think. I spell l-i-g-h-t.

“Alligator.”

I start to spell a-l ... is it one l or two? I twirl my pencil through my fingers, trying to think, but on the third twirl, my pencil goes flying through the air, landing on the floor right next to Lisa Crane. I get out of my seat, bend down, and pick up my pencil. As I stand up, I look straight at Lisa’s paper and see a-l-l-i-g-a-t-o-r.

“Nathan!” Both Lisa and Mrs. Dempsey shout out at the same time.

I look up at Mrs. Dempsey, with my mouth open, yet speechless.

“Nathan Rockeldge, cheating will NOT be tolerated in my classroom.”

“I – I just dropped my pencil,” I explain, sensing everyone’s eyes on me.

“He was staring at my paper!” Lisa yells, “Nathan Rockledge is a cheater!”

“No!” I say glaring at Lisa.

“I didn’t,” I look back to Mrs. Dempsey, “I mean – I didn’t mean to – I mean – I didn’t realize – I mean - well it’s just a pre-test, it doesn’t even count.” Stop talking Nathan, I think to myself. I feel my cheeks getting redder with every word.

“That’s enough, Nathan,” Mrs. Dempsey says. “You can discuss it with Mr. Brenner.

“I’m sorry,” I say. I lower my head and walk out of the classroom toward the principal’s office.

I walk into the main office. Mrs. Dexter, Mr. Brenner’s secretary, is not at her desk. I walk over to Mr. Brenner’s shut door and knock softly. Maybe they’re all gone for the day. Maybe they’re never coming back.

“Come in,” says the loud, deep voice from behind the door. The voice does not belong to Mr. Brenner, although I do recognize it.

I hesitantly open the door, preparing my side of the story in my head, when I see him. He is shorter than I imagined, but powerful looking all the same.

“Mr. President?” I say meekly.

“Nate Rocks! Thank goodness you are here! We have a matter of utmost national importance, and I need your help.”

~~~~~~~~~

Interested in reading more?

Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/uviYpn

About Nate Rocks the World:

Ten-year-old Nathan Rockledge cannot catch a break. After all, life as a fourth-grader can be hazardous what with science projects to deal with and recess football games to avoid. Everyone, including his best friend Tommy, seems to have bad luck when hanging around Nathan. Throw in an older sister who is a royal pain, a dad who is stuck in the past, and a mom who keeps trying to poison him with her awful cooking, and poor Nathan’s life as a fourth grader appears to be completely doomed.

Armed only with his sketchpad, his imagination, and his wits, Nathan Rockledge navigates the perils of the fourth grade in style, to emerge heroic, as Nate Rocks, proving that even a ten-year-old can accomplish great things.

Read what People Are Saying:

Author Karen Pokras Toz has a definite five star winner right here. Nate more than ROCKS! Great book for kids of all ages and for parents too. Characters that are true to life and a story that will definitely make you smile, laugh and endear you to one smart and talented young man named NATE!
-Fran Lewis, Author and Radio Talk Show Host

I picked this book out to upload to my Kindle to "bribe" my son into reading....it's always a fight. He LOVES the book and thinks it is his own autobiography! He too has a 13 year old sister that acts just like Nate's older sister. He read for almost an hour the other night and wouldn't even let me read one page to him, he wanted to do it himself. My son is a 10 year old 4th grader and I could not have found a book more perfectly suited for him! THANK YOU to the author!!
-KristyS, Verified Amazon Reviewer

This is a fascinating and fun story that middle grade boys are going to love. Toz definitely has a finger on the pulse of this market. She knows what’s exciting to them and uses it to create a page-turner that will leave them wanting more.
-The Children’s and Teen’s Book Connection









No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...