Friday, December 30, 2011

The Friday Five: 12.30.11: Year End Edition!


photo credit: RobW_ via photo pin cc

Hi everyone! Can you believe it’s the very last Friday of 2011? I hope everyone has been enjoying the holidays. It’s been a very eventful year for me – both good and bad. I’ve had to say goodbye to my sweet grandmother, as well as two of our cats. Plus, we’ve had to replace the roof, hot water heater, and central air all within the span of few months (ouch!) But there have been a lot of great things that happened this year as well – my youngest graduated pre-school and started Kindergarten, and both my older kids made Honor Roll. And of course – we welcomed two adorable kittens into our family. But perhaps the biggest news for me – I published the first book... and finished the first draft of book two in the Nate Rocks series!

One thing I love about blogging is that I get to chronicle random events in my life. In case you haven’t noticed, my blog is more of a rambling of my daily life more than anything else. So what better way to wrap up the end of 2011 than by dedicating the last Friday Five of the year to my top blog posts of the year (as determined by page hits.) So here they are... in reverse order:

5. A Peek At My Inbox

I don’t know how your email display works, but I have mine set up so I can see the first few words of the actual message displayed before I even open the email. I like to know exactly what I am in for before I open my mail:




4. A Conversation With My Five Year Old: The Other Planet


As he does every morning, my five year old joyfully ran into my arms for his morning snuggle. I cherish these moments as I know they eventually fade - just ask his older siblings. But then I thought, maybe if I start at an early age, I could brainwash convince him to always snuggle me: ...read more





3. 30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know


Last Week was Invisible Awareness Week. I know I'm a few days late, but I am participating in this simple blog post meme to help spread awareness, not only into the public eye, but because there is still so much even my closest friends and family do not know.
...read more


2. Super Secret Surprise Revealed

It's a surprise... you're going to have to click on the link to see what you missed... ...read more

1. The Friday Five 10-28-11: Remembering Grandma

Hi all – It has been a difficult week for my family and myself. On Wednesday, we lost someone very special to our hearts – my Grandmother – my Mother’s Mother, my children’s Great Grandmother. Grandma was 96 years old and a loving, beautiful, creative, and inspirational woman who loved to play the piano and always smiled.... read more


**********

And because I had an entire year’s worth of posts to sort through (and because it’s my blog and I get to make the rules), I thought I would list an additional 5 that I felt deserved honorable mentions:

1. Camp Part 4 – The Pick Up Day


This past Sunday was one the day I had been looking forward to all week... camp pickup day! I definitely missed my two older kids and was ready to have them back home.

In theory, the counselors are supposed to have the kids all packed up and ready to go... in reality, it went something like this ...read more



2. Teens, Tweens, & Clothing


My oldest son used to be so easy to dress. We had tops, and we had bottoms. It didn’t matter which top went with which bottom. He didn’t care, he didn’t complain. Whichever one his hand touched first when he opened his drawer was just fine. His shoe wardrobe consisted of one pair of sneakers and one pair of dark brown work boots that could double as dressier shoes, if needed...read more


3. You Pronounce That How?

There is a growing debate in our household and it stems around accents.

I grew up in Connecticut - I don’t have an accent (that’s my story & I’m sticking to it). My mother grew up in the Bronx – she does. For example, she likes to add the letters “er” to any word ending in an “a”. Soda becomes Soder. My alma mater, Ithaca College, becomes Ithacer. Santa was always Santer. You get the idea. She also likes to drop H’s – the word ‘huge’ becomes ‘uge’. For the sake of our relationship, I will stop here... read more



4. Back to School Night or An Olympic Event

Last week I finished up the third of my back to school nights for my children. I have to admit – I always dread going. Call me cranky, but after dinner, all I want to do is just sink into the couch and relax. Instead, I rallied myself together and headed out. Let the games begin! ...read more





5. Is It Monday Yet?

I know most people will wake up this morning and say TGIF. But more and more, I find myself counting the hours until it is Monday again. As the weekend approaches, I look to my calendar and am faced with a familiar dilemma: how in the world will I get my kids to all of their activities and events, manage to get the grocery shopping done, do the laundry, get the house presentable enough for our company, and have a relaxing weekend? ...read more








I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year! Thanks so much for the overwhelming support – I can’t wait to share more ramblings with you in 2012. Stay safe and don’t drink and drive! See you next year!

Xo
Karen



No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...