Sunday, November 20, 2011

Calling All Elementary Teachers and Librarians

A while back, I received an email from an elementary school art teacher expressing interest in my book, Nate Rocks the World, as part of the curriculum for her art class. For those who do not know, Nate Rocks the World is about 10 year old Nathan Rockledge. On the outside, he is your ordinary 4th grader. On the inside, however, he has an imagination that has no limits. Give Nathan a piece of paper and a pencil and watch as he transforms himself through his drawings from Nathan Rockledge to the heroic and unstoppable Nate Rocks.

You may be surprised to learn that Nate Rocks the World is not a graphic novel. In fact, other than the cover, there are no pictures at all. As the author, I wanted the reader to experience each of Nate’s adventures the same exact way that Nathan does – through the sole use of his imagination.

So where does Nate Rocks the World fit into your programs and curriculum?


The art teacher’s idea – which I love – was to read the first few pages of Nate Rocks the World (which contains his first adventure as Nate Rocks) to her class. She would then ask her class to draw their own adventures. I’m hoping she sends me photos of the pictures – I would love to see them and hopefully will post some on my website.

As much as I love the art teacher’s idea, I wanted to take it a step further and include a writing element. How fun would it be to then take those drawings back to the child’s main classroom and write the adventures down on paper? The teacher could then compile all of the drawings and stories together into a comic book for the entire class to enjoy. It could even be called:

“Mrs./Mr. ________’s 3rd Grade Class Rocks the World”

Of course, I would hope that the students would want to read more than the first few pages – after all, I wrote this book in hopes of giving children a fun and enjoyable book to read. Encouraging our children to read is one of the greatest gifts we can give to them.

So what do you think? I love feedback! Please let me know if you are thinking about introducing Nate Rocks into your elementary school classroom or library programs. I’d also love to visit your school or library if you are interested.

For more information about Nate Rocks the World, visit my website: www.karentoz.com

Thanks so much for your support!




****

http://bit.ly/KPTbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...