Monday, September 12, 2011

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

I’ve been doing a lot of interviews lately for Nate Rocks the World, and the number one question has been, “Did you always want to be a writer?” The truth of the matter is – no – I only fell in love with writing a little over a year ago. Should I have always wanted to be a writer? If it wasn't my passion since the moment I picked up my first crayon, does that mean writing is not meant to be for me?

photo credit: Fort Edmonton Park via photopin (license)
I then started thinking about how different my life is now compared to what I always thought “I wanted to be” at different points in my life:

When I was in 2nd grade, I wanted to be the next Marie Osmond. I loved “The Donny & Marie Show” (dating myself...) - I couldn’t sing, act, ice skate or dance, but for some reason I thought I could get up on that stage (next to Donny of course) and be ‘a little bit country.’

I outgrew that, thank goodness ... next moving into teacher, a fashion merchandiser, a choreographer, and then an MTV VJ.

In high school, I decided I wanted to go into business, leaning toward accounting. I loved math and numbers, so it seemed a logical career path. I entered college as an accounting major.

photo credit: Numbers And Finance via photopin (license)
From there I made the giant leap to wanting to get rid of all of the corruption in the securities market. (I believe it had something to do with the movie ‘Wall Street’) and promptly switched my major from accounting to finance. That one stuck with me for a while as I then continued on to law school only to learn, I did not want to be a lawyer. But, I was already there, and learned I loved tax law. So I stuck it out, graduated, and passed the bar. Then, I went back to the accounting side to do the tax thing. Sixteen years later, I started writing.

When my oldest graduated pre-school, the teacher did a slide show where each child held up a picture they drew of an occupation with the words, “When I grow up I want to be a...” My son chose farmer. I guess we had been doing a lot of gardening that spring. When we got in the car to go home, he started crying. I asked him what was the matter. He cried, “I don’t want to be a farmer anymore!”

I smiled and told him he had many years to decide what he wanted to be when he grew up.

*****

http://bit.ly/KPTbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...