Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My First Blogiversary – A Special Friday Five Edition!


photo credit: eperales via photo pin cc

I know what you are thinking – it is not Friday. It is not even close. I know...I know... but it is a special day! One year ago today, I logged onto Blogger without a clue about blogging and began typing – before I knew it, my ramblings were on the Internet for all the world to see. Okay, so maybe only ten two people actually read it, but still – it was theoretically out there for the masses.

In celebration of my very first Blogiversary, I thought I would do a Friday Five – picking out my five favorite blog posts from the year. A Tuesday Two seemed sort of pathetic. So here we go:

1. September 6, 2010: Anatomy of a Toddler Appetite

I have the world’s pickiest eater. While many parents around the world hold claim to this notion, I can honestly say, my son wins the prize. I know most picky toddlers turn their nose up to broccoli, spinach and most anything else green and healthy. But how about turning away pizza, cookies, candy, cake and juice? No, I’m not complaining, it’s just I cannot believe sometimes that this child and I carry the same DNA. ...read more


2. September 29, 2010: Too Old to Text

I have a love/hate relationship with texting. Conceptually, I think it is a brilliant idea. What better way is there to let your spouse know you are stuck in traffic or ask a friend a quick question? In those situations, texting is fabulous.

Shortly after my oldest son turned twelve, we got him his first phone with a texting plan. I thought it would be a great way to communicate things with him such as what time he needed to get picked up or to remind him to do his homework when he was home alone.

What I did not realize was that I was going to have to learn an entire new language – all in abbreviations. In scrolling through my son’s texts, I can only make out about one out of every six. I’m positive some teenager came up with this weird language to throw their parents off. Well, it is working. ...read more


3. October 18, 2010: The Real Reason the Phillies Win Games

I live with a die-hard Philadelphia Phillies fan. For those who have seen the movie ‘Fever Pitch’ starring Jimmy Fallon, you know who I mean. Case in point - my youngest son shares the same name as one of the Phillies’ starting pitchers. Now admittedly, I have always liked his name, but I can’t say for sure that my husband would have so readily agreed if say, The Yankees, had someone on their team with the same name. If fact, 3 of our top 4 names for my son happened to be names of starting Phillies…coincidence?

My wedding anniversary was this past weekend. My husband had a ticket to the first game of Phillies play-off series for that night. Had our friend not had an extra ticket, we would have spent the night apart. Would I have been disappointed? Yes. Would I have been surprised? No. My husband has had the same Phillies season ticket package with the same group of people long before I ever came into the picture, and post season games are serious business! The night also happened to be my husband’s birthday (I won’t say how old, but it is a milestone year). So, I did what any good wife would do – I threw on my Phillies sweatshirt and baseball cap and headed off to the ballpark for a romantic evening with 45,000 other people. ...read more


4. November 2, 2010: How to Grow A Spider

I was hoping to have this blog post coincide with Halloween – but you know how spiders can be. In the midst of putting together Halloween costumes, working on novel #2, a sick child & planning a Bar Mitzvah, the number one thing on my mind these days has been spiders..its true!

Now I admit, I am not normally a huge fan of spiders, although I have gotten better. After all, they do keep other bugs from getting into the house. But generally speaking, the thought of spiders does not excite me.

So when I opened the annual Halloween package from my Aunt & Uncle to find three rubber spiders, my first response was “eeeww”. Upon further examination, I learned that these were no ordinary spiders. These were “growing” spiders – double eeeww. ...read more


5. May 17, 2011: Where is that Teen Manual?

The request to my 13 year old was simple: “clean your room.” Let me back up for a moment, as this actually happened last week (and the week before and the week before….)

My son used to keep his room relatively neat. Clothes were generally picked up. True, they did not always make it to a hanger, but half-folded in a drawer was pretty darned close. Books were either at or near where they belonged on the bookshelves; and toys, while completely unorganized, were at least tossed in bins. Miraculously, he even managed to pull the comforter over his bed on most days.

But something happened as my son passed into this great unknown I call “teendom.” ...read more


It’s been a fun year. One thing I wasn’t expecting was to meet so many great new friends. Honestly, I thought my family and a few Facebook friends would be the only ones popping in here. Boy was I wrong! I have met so many awesome new people who I can now call friends. I also truly love reading all the comments people have left me. Not only because it is nice to know I’m not just out here talking to myself, but because most of the time, they lead me to other blogs. I guess I have become a blog-a-holic!

Thanks so much for stopping by and helping me to celebrate! Oh and in case you were wondering, there will be a *real* Friday Five this week – this time on Friday - and keep an eye out for another special Blogiversary surprise this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...