Friday, August 26, 2011

The Friday Five – 8/26/11


Hi all – the last week of August – can you believe it? Next week will be September already. So what have you been up to this week? Let me know in the comments! Here’s what’s been going on with me:

1. Blogiversary. August is always a celebratory month for me. It is my Mom’s birthday, my parent’s anniversary, and two out of three of my children have their birthdays in August (one day...and six years apart) at the end of the month. But now we can add Blogiversary to the list! Last year on Aug 23, I started this little blog. To find out which five blog posts over the year were my favorite, check out Special Friday Five Blogiversary Edition.




2. And the winner is... As part of my blogiversary celebration, I also had my first blog giveaway, with the winner receiving a signed copy of my book, Nate Rocks the World. Thanks to everyone who entered. If you didn’t get a chance, don’t worry, I will be doing a Goodreads giveaway in September. Now – on to the winner! Congratulations.................


***Donalisa Helsley***


3. Social Networking. I said I wasn’t going to do it and yet somehow, I got sucked in. I joined Google+. The jury is still out as to whether or not I like it or find it useful, but for now, I’m giving it a try. If anyone else is on it and you want to add me to your circle, click on the widget on the side to add me to your circle ------> I’ll be happy to add you to mine as well. If anyone wants an invite, let me know. I also joined Triberr this week. For those who do not know, Triberr is sort of an automated Twitter chain. Basically, you belong to tribes. When you post something on your blog, your feed automatically gets tweeted out in everyone’s tweet stream from your tribe, so depending on the size of your tribe and the number of twitter followers they have, you could be reaching into the millions. The tribe I belong to is currently at a reach of approximately 40,000 (hello everyone!) On the flipside, you are also tweeting everyone else’s feeds, so your Twitter feed sort of becomes one big advertisement. I’m not quite sure I like this part of it, but so far most of the posts have been interesting and I have met some very nice people. I’ll probably give it another week or so before I decide if I want to stick around.

4. Book News. This week I had the pleasure of being the guest blogger for QuincyTutoring.com. QuincyTutoring.com is an AWESOME website full of wonderful educational resources for parents and students of all ages. I will also be cross-posting the article here next week. Coming up this Monday, Nate Rocks the World will be the featured book for "Marvelous Middle Grade Monday" on Pam Torres’ blog: So I’m Fifty. Then on Wednesday, I have the pleasure of being interviewed by author TS Welti for Wacky Writer Wednesday. It should be a lot of fun!

5. Mother Nature. Just in case you forgot who was in charge, Mother Nature decided to give us a little reminder. First were the crazy thunderstorms we’ve had over the past two weeks. Then, on Tuesday, she gave us a surprising (and thankfully mostly harmless) east coast earthquake. Talk about unexpected. I had just stopped my car and thought my shocks were going! And now –we are preparing for a hurricane! Irene is heading inland and straight up the coast, supposedly entering the Philadelphia area on Sunday. Unfortunately, it looks like I’ll have to reschedule my daughter’s birthday party that we have planned for that day. I can only imagine what the grocery store is going to be like today! Thanks Irene! I hope everyone in her path stays safe!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. See you next Friday... and hopefully sooner!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the latest book news, sign up for my newsletter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...